James H. Cox, Of Counsel (Retired)
The attorneys at The Carr Law Group consider it a great honor to have practiced alongside James “Jim” H. Cox from 2013-2021. Mr. Cox wrapped up his distinguished legal career and retired in September 2021. Attorney James H. Cox, who joined the firm as “of counsel” in 2013, brought more than 40 years of experience to the Carr Law Group’s civil litigation practice.
Jim tried cases in state and federal courts throughout the country, ranging from catastrophic injury auto accidents to lawsuits involving international corporations. He was licensed to practice in State and Federal Courts in Georgia, as well as five of the nation’s Federal circuit courts of appeal and the United States Supreme Court.
Biography & Career
Prior to working with The Carr Law Group and representing clients in and around Clarkesville, Gainesville, and Cleveland, Georgia, Jim worked in Atlanta for some of the largest and most prestigious law firms in the country. For twenty years Jim represented a Florida-based national transportation company as its regional catastrophic injury counsel and in addition to injury cases, Jim has represented banks, celebrities, and large U.S. and international corporations in complex civil litigation.
Throughout his career, Jim held several high-level positions with the State Bar of Georgia, including President of the Young Lawyers Division, the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors and the Governor’s Judicial Nominating Commission. He was voted a “Super Lawyer” by his peers every year from 2008-2021 and his fellow lawyers gave him Martindale-Hubbell’s “Distinguished” rating, it’s highest, reflecting a score of 5 out of a possible 5.
Practice Areas & Cases
The types of cases Jim handled include the following:
- Represented the CEO of major U.S. Record Company in Florida state court case alleging unlawful interference with the business relationship between nationally prominent rock band and its former professional manager.
- Represented the manufacturer of emergency sirens for fire trucks in cases in Philadelphia brought by members of Philadelphia Fire Department alleging hearing loss.
- Represented one of the country’s best known professional wrestlers in litigation with national TV network involving defamation and breach of contract and other matters.
- Represented German corporation and its American subsidiary in litigation in Federal Court in Pennsylvania involving patent infringement and anti-trust claims.
- Represented French chemical manufacturer in litigation in St. Louis alleging chemical spill injury to dozens of AMTRAK railroad employees.
- Defended major military contractor and private aircraft manufacturer in federal court litigation in Savannah alleging employment discrimination.
- Defended major Atlanta bank in federal litigation in California alleging breach of contract and conflict of interest.
- Representation of Atlanta health care company in litigation involving insurance agent’s failure to procure adequate coverage.
- Representation of insurance company in litigation in Tennessee concerning alleged wrongful denial of coverage.
- Representation of Florida-based national transportation company for 20 years as regional catastrophic injury defense counsel.
- Representation of real estate developer in Alabama federal litigation alleging breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.